Monday, August 1, 2016

The Wicked Wind of the West, Mickey Mouse America, and Steroids

Day: 35 (Pueblo, CO to Howard, CO)

Average Speed: 9.6 MPH (INTENSE headwind)

Miles Cycled Today: 85.7

Miles Cycled Total: 2,341

Mood: Frustrated

Artwork in Pueblo, Colorado


Two days ago, the wind was like a coddling grandmother, nudging me onward, giving sweet kisses on the cheek, and offering freshly baked cookies with warm milk. 

Today, it was a drunk uncle. 

And not a fun drunk either. 
Heading into Rockies

This is wind that mocked, teased, abused, and shattered the confidence I’ve worked hard to gain. 

It was brutal. 

Have you ever cycled into a strong headwind? Try it. Then do a U-turn to feel the difference. And touring bikes with their fat asses don’t do a thing for aerodynamic improvement, I’ll have you know. 

Although it’s hard to compare the present with the past, I’m going to say today was my hardest day yet on a bicycle. Were it not for the constant beauty around every curve, it would’ve been miserable. 

Unlike the Kansas storm I hit a few days ago, this wind was here to stay. For all 86 miles. I was only able to coast once- my first major descent of the Rockies (did I mention I’m in the Rockies now?).

Indeed, this was the highlight of the day:




Another thing that impeded the ride was tourism. My specified route avoids tourist traps at all costs, favoring towns with populations of 88 over major cities or popular travel destinations. It’s painstakingly thought out, and the creators obviously determined that anyone who has the desire to cross the country on a bicycle is not in search of a poolside Pina Colada while wearing a pair of Mickey Mouse ears.  

But I went off-route today, and I paid the price. 

Back to Terrain Maps! Here's Today's Route.

On a tip from Tracey and Andy, I took route 50 from Pueblo to Howard. They warned me the road was quite bland, but I think a better word would be “joyless.” 

Watch What Happens when this RV Pulls Away....
Ta-Da! Another RV Appears!













I have nothing against RVs by the dozens. I have nothing against “Colorado’s Prison Museum” or “Dinosaur PlayLand” or “Whitewater Excursions” or “Mine Your Own Gold!” I have nothing against exhausted parents shouting at their kids at rest stops- After all, they’ve been on the road for a month with a crammed schedule, stopping at all of those tourist traps. 





Billboards, Billboards, Everywhere...
It’s just not the trip I want to be on now. 

If the town of Canon City does have a native population, they were either hidden or completely fed-up with talking to tourists. And conversation with tourists is… different… than conversation with natives. You don’t hear about the everyday life of someone who hasn’t left the town in 30 years. Ironically, that’s much more intriguing to me than learning of a stranger’s helicopter adventure the day before. Not that I mind the latter- it’s just not what I’m into right now. 


In the Rockies. Arkansas River and Picturesque Train




Eventually, the scenery-marring billboards disappeared- as did the RVs, and when I could take my mind off of the wind, I marveled at the Arkansas River and the mountains themselves. 







The Rockies aren't Shy


Unlike the other mountain ranges I’ve been through, the Rockies offer panoramic views of themselves. They’re proud of the steroids they’ve taken and they’re happy to flex their muscles right in front of you. 

They teased me today with a warm-up climb that only reached 6,500 feet. 






Tomorrow, however… Monarch Pass. More than 11,000 feet in altitude. 

And unlike the Rockies, I didn’t take any steroids. 


I’m not a professional cyclist.   

P.S. 

Careful What You Brag About (Coaldale: Population 255)
With an Excellent Selection of Rocks on Display...



2 comments:

  1. Jim, you ratchet your way around the curve of the earth with relentless forward motion. Inspector Gadget would be proud of that ratchet! :-) I've been been vicariously enjoying your posts and look forward to reading more about the great variety of experiences you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the Dinosaur Playland from PeeWee's Great Adventure? If so I would have stopped and recreated the scene. "Everyone I know has a big but" maybe next trip!

    ReplyDelete