Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Valentine's Day, Racing a Pickup Truck, and That's Not a Fork in the Road


Day: 37 (Gunnison, CO to Montrose, CO)

Average Speed: 10.9 MPH

Miles Cycled Today: 65

Miles Cycled Total: 2,487

Mood: Spirited

Colorado: a State that Believes in Good Beer


I no longer have a Mini-Leatherman. But I’ll get to that later. 

Today was just plain fun. Gorgeous scenery, thrilling descents, curvy roads, and a lot of laughter. 

Brian, Last Night's Host

I met Brian, last night’s host, this morning when I woke up (he was asleep when I arrived last night, so we never actually met. He simply left the door unlocked for me, and I crashed on his couch. That might sound scary to you… sleeping on a complete stranger’s couch… but I felt pretty safe. My Mini-Leatherman was only about 6 feet from where I was sleeping, and I’m sure I could’ve gotten to it quickly if I found it necessary. Tonight is another issue. I no longer have a Mini-Leatherman. But I’ll get to that later). 





First 1/2 of Today's Ride
Jamie stayed the night there as well, and we parted ways this morning as we often do. He likes to get started early, and I usually wait until somebody in town asks me how many miles I cycled so far today (“Zero!”) before I get going.

There was no real rush though. Frequently, the distance between towns dictates how long the ride is, and it was only logical to make Montrose the end-point today- an easy 65 miles away, only 10 of which involved any real climbing. 



Oh Behave, Rockies!
The Avett Brothers provided the perfect soundtrack to the first lazy 24 miles as the Rockies slowly undressed to reveal their softer, sexier side. The juiced-up veiny muscles of yesterday’s mountains were replaced with soft crests, dotted with plant life. These are mountains that play nicely with others; they cradle lakes and rivers, and even the most casual cyclist can find joy in the slow climbs. 


Rowwwwr!















Meet Valentine, the Happiest Man Alive

But that was just a warm up. 

By chance, I reconnected with Jamie in the tiny town of Sapinero where we sipped iced tea on the front porch of the general store. As we were about to continue on, an eastbound cyclist zipped up to greet us. He introduced himself as Valentine from Switzerland (or Walentine as he pronounced it… German speakers often switch the V and W sounds, making the pronunciation of words like Venus delightful). 



Valentine is the happiest person on the planet, and although he said he didn’t speak much English, he loved to communicate. 

The parking lot was his stage, and he reenacted his entire journey through interpretive dance. He gesticulated wildly when talking about his ride through the Wild West, making guns with his hands and firing them skyward. He described terrain by changing the levels of his own height while flailing in circles. 



And he never stopped laughing. With his permission, I took a short video clip to try to capture part of his personality (unfortunately, it doesn't even come close):




Valentine Struggles to Lift Trek

Also, Valentine redefines the phrase “traveling light.” His bike (with luggage) weighed all of eight pounds, and he called us his “heroes” when he tried to lift ours. With his unbridled, boundless energy and his ultra-light bike, I wouldn't be surprised if he were in Virginia by the end of the week.

We said our goodbyes, and I happened to turn around about 1/2 mile later. He was an orange speck on the porch, still violently waving to us.

“If I’m ever half as happy as that man,” Jamie noted, “I can die in peace.”


Me, Starting a Short Descent
The rest of the day was an adrenaline booster. Three different descents that each offered something unique, the second of which involved car racing. 

Check out this video (unless you happen to be my mother- then watch this instead). In the first part you can see Jamie sail past me in the middle of the road and draft behind a dump truck (which he later passed on the left). The second part is my cat-and-mouse competition with a white pickup truck:




The unedited video is twelve entire minutes of downhill coasting, and the last descent of the day- 15 miles- lasted twice as long as that.

So that's it. 

Nothing more to say.

Except for the BIG NEWS about my Mini-Leatherman.

Before starting this trip, I assumed I would find cool stuff on the side of the road. You know, fancy jewelry, sunglasses, unopened packs of Twizzlers, etc. I pretty much assumed I would come across a murder weapon or two and be given the key to a few cities for solving a crime. 

But it's been 2500 miles, and all I've seen are a surprising number of bungee cords and a decapitated doll. 

Until today that is. Look what I found:


That's a fully functional life size Leatherman right there on the shoulder. Compare it with my tiny one:


I took the one on the right, and left the Mini in its place:


Imagine you're the guy who lost the big one, and you went back looking for it and found my little one instead. Mind Blown. That thought had me giggling for 5 miles.

And that's what today was about. 

Laughter.

Better get it in now... looks like the next two days are going to be doozies.

P.S.

I would've bought some of this at the rock gift shop, but they were out...
...and how on earth do you ask the little old lady behind the counter if she has anymore Rough Fuchsite available?

2 comments:

  1. Woah; how fast were you going on that downhill in the video?! Looked like a blast! Sounds like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god, you met a "personality" from Switzerland ��

    ReplyDelete