Monday, August 22, 2016

The End


Day: 57 (Davis, CA to San Francisco, CA)

Average Speed: 9.6 MPH

Miles Cycled Today: 77.1 

Miles Cycled Total: 3, 885

Mood: I don't know 



The Pacific.




I’m writing this at 4:28 AM where I am… at the Pacific Ocean. 

And the time doesn’t matter a single bit. 

I know it is possible to describe in words the emotions I’m feeling right now, but that’s a job for far more accomplished writer.

One of the Usual Questions I’ve heard since starting is “Are you going to bicycle back to the East Coast when you hit the Pacific?”

Until a few weeks ago, my answer was “What are you, crazy?”

Now it’s “I wish I could.”

I want to do this forever. To cycle. To see the best that America and our world has to offer. Day in and day out. 

The end of this trip was almost anti-climactic, because I feel like I’m just getting started. 

But it’s over. 

It’s over. 

Andy- I met him back in Missouri- just sent me a "congratulations" text message, then he insightfully went on to describe the end of a trip like this as a "grieving process." 

He's right. I'm not excited I'm finished. I'm sad that it's over. 

But I've had a lot of time to think, and I’ll have one more post here in a week or so. Please, check back. 

For now, take a six minute ride with me across the country and enjoy America. 

The soundtrack to the video is both perfect and entirely ludicrous: “Traveling Alone” by Jason Isbell. 

changed my answer to the question "Are you riding alone?" back in Missouri. 

No. 

Mostly solo on the bike, yes.  

But alone?

I wasn’t alone while crossing any state. 

I wasn’t alone for a mile. 

I wasn’t alone for One. Single. Pedal. 


Thank you so much or staying with me. 

8 comments:

  1. Congrats Jimmy!! This is awesome. Loved reading your posts!! Where's the next adventure? -carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jim. This has been an amazing accomplishment for you, a fabulous trip for a wonderful reason. I'm sure your Dad is smiling. It has been a real treat to get up each day and travel with you across the country...and not have to pedal at all! Thank you...can't wait for the book to come out. If Bill Bryson can do it so can you. Finally, if you want to pedal back I can sub for you...just pedal fast, it's been a while and I've gotten older. Enjoy your accomplishment. John Cossa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, congratulations on the completion of this epic journey, and the likelihood of more to come! Joe Milcetic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had your adventure, Jim! Thanks for describing it along the way so that many could "ride along with you". Life-changing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I'm in awe of you, of the strength and stamina this required, of the sights and experiences you've had. Thank you for letting us be there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admired you before and now even more. What a inspirational person you are. I'm sure if there was more time, you would ride back. Somehow, I know you will! ������

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!! Have a great school year!! So when's the trip next summer planned?!? Brittani

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Jim. Pat and I enjoyed following your venture from launch day here in Va. to Calif. We are in awe of your accomplishment, a real tribute to your dad's memory

    ReplyDelete