Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Trail of Breadcrumbs, a Whole Lotta Nickels, and a Free Campsite

Day: 9 (Radford, VA to Rural Retreat, VA)
Average Speed: 9.5 MPH
Miles Cycled Today: 61.2
Miles Cycled Total: 445
Mood: Frustrated

Outside the Billings' RV

I was hoping to do 90 miles or better today [insert sad trumpet sound effect here]. 

But man is it difficult for me to get a move on in the morning. 

First of all, I make sport of oversleeping. Motivated Me goes to bed every night saying I’m gonna get up early and take on the world! But Sleepy Me is a whole ‘nother beast. I don’t even really know him that well… but he’s so much stronger than Motivated Me. 

Second, it takes me about an hour to pack up all my crap. Pretty much everything needs to be unpacked when I get to a destination. And then everything needs to be repacked carefully the next morning. 

Searched for this for 1/2 Hour. Found it Packed Properly.
Last, I need at least an hour to search for the things that I lose. Today it was an SD memory card. I couldn’t find it… no big deal! There’s a CVS down the road and they’re cheap! But when I went to pay for it, I realized my debit card was missing too. Now that’s a big deal. 

Back to the hotel. 

Not there. 

Finally found it at BT’s (the dive in Radford where we were at last night) after following the trail of breadcrumbs. Maybe that disgusting Jager shot wasn’t such a great idea after all. 

With that taken care of, I was able to say goodbye to Hanna (her parting words: “Don’t get hit by a car!” She might not be overly sentimental, but you can’t say she’s not practical!). It was already after 11 AM. 

Look at All They Offer in Pulaski County!
The first 20 miles felt great! Cruisin’ right along. And as luck would have it, I found this great sign that welcomes cyclists to this part of Virginia and even offers to find lodging- Jackpot! I had no clue where I was staying tonight, and someone else was willing to pick up my slack. 

Then the right quad pain came back. With a vengeance. That changes everything. Every time my right leg cycled I winced (it pedals a lot actually. I did the math. I counted the number of times I pedaled in a straightaway using a mid-gear over a tenth of a mile: 88. You know how people say ‘If I had a nickel for every time…’ and it literally never adds up to
much? Well, if I had a nickel for every time I pedaled I would be making $44 per mile. At this point, I would have $19,580. Who has the time to think about this kind of stuff? Me. I do.). 


So anyway, my leg hurts. 

Most of the trip today was uphill- and I started stopping every five miles or so to give that sucker a rest. While I did find this charming throwback mercantile in the tiny town of Draper, any stopping time is hard to make up. 

Also, I ordered a turkey club at Draper’s Mercantile… and apparently they hadn’t slaughtered the turkey yet. 40 minutes.
The Draper Mercantile

Making use of down time, I called that number I saw on the sign earlier to see if they could hook me up with some accommodations for the night. I assumed it was the number for Batman of the Cycling World, and someone was just waiting for that phone to ring so he/she could be a hero. But instead, I got Debbie in the Town Hall, who had no clue a bike route even existed. She tried to be helpful though- I could hear her Googling “places to stay…” in the background. She came up empty but offered me coupons to Shoney’s if I wouldn’t mind stopping by… it was only 8 miles away. 

Thanks, Debbie. I’ll pass. 

Today's Modified Route (Didn't Make Destination)
Rural Retreat Campground
My original destination of Damascus changed to Troutdale, which changed to Sugar Grove, which changed to Rural Retreat, where I am now. 

I found a lovely campground where the office was closed for the night. Sweet! I don’t have to pay! I thought. 


I wasn’t 50 feet into the campsite area when a pickup truck pulled up beside me. 





“Whatcha doin’?” the guy at the wheel asked with a sly grin.

“Just gonna set up camp for the night,” I said.

“Mmmm. Office is closed ya’ know.”


“Yea- I know, I figured I’d pay in the morning!” Lie.

“They don’t open ’til ten in the mornin’- and I recken yer headin’ out ‘fore then,” he said, eyeing my gear. Then he leaned forward like he was going to share a secret. “Hey… Find a site.. git out early… and don’t tell ‘em. I ain’t gonna rat ya’ out.”

Thanks, Billy Bob. And I'll stay mum about the open can of Busch Light you're holding just feet away from the “Alcohol Not Permitted” sign. 
Dinner Spread at the Billings' RV

Southern hospitality won over as always though. I was only moments in my camp and talking to Hanna on the phone when an amicable looking fellow came towards me. Maybe he’ll offer me dinner I thought, and promptly hung up on Hanna to work the charm. 

And sure enough, “You wanna join us for supper?” was probably the fourth or fifth sentence he spoke. 

Don't ask me twice. 

Yum.
The Great Map Debate of 2016
For the next half an hour, my map was passed around the picnic table as everyone in the Billings family offered different suggestions as to which route I should be taking. 

People like offering route suggestions far more than they like talking about the weather, I’ve found (got caught in an hour-long downpour today by the way). 

I’m fed. I’m showered. I have great neighbors. And a “free” site.


Who could ask for anything more?

P.S.

Is This Sign Necessary?

Chances are if you don't know this rule, then reading this advice might be a struggle too.

8 comments:

  1. So were you able to get out of Dodge free? Love your stories!

    Addie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kept my money in my pocket... even upgraded myself to a site with electric and water!

      Delete
  2. As long as you are a bit further along today than you were yesterday, then all is good. Just keep swimming Dorrie.

    For that quad you might try some protein/ami o acid fortified drink to give it what it needs to rebuild. Muscle Milk is a common one. You are doing your active stretching before you start each day, right? If you go by a chiropractor, stop in and get some Bio-Freeze. We old guys like that stuff - might help you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Jim. Stretched a lot today- and I think it worked! Who knew that would help? (everyone but me, I suppose...)

      Delete
  3. OK so I chatted with my sis and her fitness trainer boyfriend about your right quad situation...they strongly suggest stretching it out a lot as much as possible, ICE 20 mins on 20 mins off whenever you are resting, and extra potassium!!! Stop at a CVS or whatever and grab some in pill form and eat bananas!!! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got similar advice last night and... it worked. I'm a dope for not stretching. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. You got it! I wanna see some straight southern hole in the wall bar pics!!! Lol

      Delete
    3. You got it! I wanna see some straight southern hole in the wall bar pics!!! Lol

      Delete