Friday, July 8, 2016

Dog Days, Dog Afternoons, and Dog Nights

Day: 12 (Breaks, VA to Virgie, KY)
Average Speed: 9.1 MPH
Miles Cycled Today: 31.3 (upsetting)
Miles Cycled Total: 611
Mood: Disheartened


When Does "Bikers" on a Sign Ever Refer to Cyclists? Feelin' Tough! I'm a Biker!











Welcome to Kentucky.

 Now sit. 


Today's "Ride"


Today’s ride- if I can call it that- was absolute misery. At the top of the post- where I write my mood- I initially wrote “Miserable.” But I erased that just as fast as I wrote it because it’s not true. Not even close really. It describes the ride... not me. 


Disheartened. That’s the word. 

Look at my mileage. Uh oh. 

I started out strong enough, and climbed the first of today’s mountains (I was originally planning on crossing five summits today) in the 90 degree humidity. I’ve never quite experienced sweat like that. It just kept on coming (you might say it was “poring out”! Get it? PORING?? Hahahaha. ugh.). 


Ditched Bike in Shade at Top of Climb #1


You know when horses shake their heads and switch their tails to keep flies away, but the flies return instantly? That’s kind of what this sweat was. I silently wished for a bit of rain for the next major climb. 

Careful what you wish for. 

At the bottom of that first mountain, the downpour began. For those of you keeping track at home, that’s five (very) rainy days in a row now. But this was (is) a full on lightning storm. 

One of Many Places I Sought Coverage


I managed the next very steep climb in it, and the very steep descent that followed was no fun at all. Then it was a “find coverage” game. I looked for shelter every mile or so… ride five minutes, wait twenty minutes, ride five minutes, wait twenty minutes...

Camping with God as My Host


Back home, my mom checked out the weather map. Nothing was changing for tonight. 



The weather won today.

Eventually I gave up and set up camp in the entryway here at the Penny Road Community Church in Virgie, Kentucky.

What a waste of a day.





This Dog Wouldn't Stop Following. I Coaxed It from the Busy Road

Also, remember those warnings about the Kentucky dogs? They must know where the state border is because because that became immediately true. They roam free wherever there are houses. So far they’re friendly enough… if you stop. 

This little guy wouldn’t stop following me this morning. I was nervous for him since he was trotting after me down a double yellow line on a curvy road. I called out to the owners. 


“He’ll be a’right! He ain’t gonna bite ya’!” I see that. But he’s going to get run over. 

The owners (?) left their porch and went back inside while I alerted speeding cars and directed traffic around the little guy, all while trying to inch forward. 

It’s like both everybody and nobody owns the dogs in any given town. 

Look Ma! I Crossed Virginia!


If there was a highlight today, it’s the ceremonial pin I received for crossing Virginia. The lady at the motel checkout desk in Breaks Interstate Park gave it to me. 

But even that only served as a reminder that Virginia took me three (cycling) days longer than I’d hoped. 





Unlicensed Therapy Dog


This guy came to visit as soon as I set up camp for the evening. 

He must’ve sensed I was upset. 

He cheered me up.

As only dogs can do. 

Hoping for a better day tomorrow.








P.S.

Too bad they were closed... I was dying to get in! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!
I'm feeling very punny today. Ugh.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm - perhaps your title should be 'Romance meets Reality" or "The Mental Part is the Hardest Part." I was kind of waiting for this post. For anyone who is doing something extreme (Yes, riding a bike across the whole country is extreme!), there are going to be hours and days of doubt. You just have to grind through it and find that core part of you that got you started in the first place. Face it man, you just rode across an entire, big effing state. Your crossing a set of mountains that held back American expansion for nearly 100 years. Oh, and then fate throws in a set of weather systems to test that resolve to the max. Disheartened, no shit, who wouldn't be. Life is hard. But you know it will get easier. You just got to get to that point so you can smile and remember how you really do have this in the bag. So, get on that green saddle cowboy and ride. You said it a few days back, in the end it is just a matter of - 'One More Pedal . . . '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was pretty motivating for me to read right before my first major climb of the day. Thanks. It was a big help.

      Delete
  2. I'm telling ya, a lil cutie canine is what you need, preferably a teacup yorkie that can nestle in your handlebar bag. (Not that I like teacup dogs, but you have only so much space.)

    ReplyDelete