Monday, August 14, 2017

The Assumption of Mary, a Dummy, and Green Rooms

Days: 22 (Semmering, AU to Graz, AU)

Average Speed: 17.7 (11 MPH)

Distance Cycled Today: 113.4 km (70.5 Miles) 

Distance Cycled Total: 2112 km (1312 Miles)

Mood: Indifferent




It's the Assumption of Mary in Austria. I know this not because I am fully immersing myself in Austrian culture, nor because I started brushing up on my theology. 

I know this because everything is closed. And we just got through Sunday... where everything was closed. 

Actually, the Assumption of Mary is officially tomorrow... so again, everything will be closed. 

This wouldn't be a big deal because gas stations and beer rooms never shut down- and that's essentially all you need- except you also need the occasional cycle shop. 

Bike shop owner attempting to help us out...

Cycle shops LOVE to close, and we needed one pretty badly today. Jamie's bike has a chance of making it another 485 miles to our destination... but it won't be pretty. 

We did finally find one that was open, but it was small, and he didn't have the part. Instead, he recommended the two we had already tried. They would definitely have what we needed. 

The detour also left Google completely confused as to what we were doing, and without us knowing, it changed our route. 

Pretty.
Instead of the 5,000+ feet of climbing we were hoping for, we were delivered a pleasant-enough, mostly flat road that cut between the mountains. We didn't realize this until lunch- and by that time is was too late to reroute. 

I never thought I'd whine about not facing a big climb, but that's what I'm doing. With the anticipation of a sweaty challenge gone, it kind of sucked the energy out of the day, and I lazily pedaled my way into Graz. 

There was no hurry whatsoever.



Also pretty. (photo cred. Jamie)
Gorgeous scenery, quaint ski resort towns and country music in the earbuds today (the only time I ever listen to country is while cycling. Weird, eh? Today it was Elizabeth Cook and Holly Williams. I recommend both). 

Again, there was nothing unlikeable about today- It was kind of like opening a carton of Neapolitan ice cream and finding there's only strawberry left... I mean, it's still ice cream, and it does the job, but it wasn't the flavor you were looking forward to. 


Maybe that comparison is a bit harsh. No one I know actively seeks out strawberry ice cream.  


Jamie found his second wind and was off to the races at some point. I kept my head in the clouds. 

See this guy in action at top of post!
The highlight of the day was probably the quirky inn I stopped at- I was only stopping to take a quick picture of a dummy on a bicycle, but there was a barful of locals outside, and they were extremely excited that I was taking this picture.

They beckoned to the bartender/owner who came running to show that this wasn't just a lazy piece of art- this was his masterpiece. He hooked up a battery, and the damned thing came to life- cycling and steering and all. We watched it while nodding together for a solid two minutes. Sometimes he'd say something, and I would just say "yes" and laugh (it makes me wonder how many awful things I agreed to). 

He asked if I wanted anything from the bar, and I asked for water. 

The entire bar- they had been fascinated by my presence- went silent. "No!" the owner said and reached for a beer. 

CHEERS FOR THE BEER, JANE ANDERSON!
On my second day of cycling last year, I learned that beer and pedaling in summer heat are not an ideal combination. I tried to decline it, but he wouldn't accept my answer, citing that he didn't speak English and couldn't understand me.

Everyone erupted into cheers and applause as I took a swig. 

Only moments later, I went inside for a quick bathroom break, and when I came back, the place was completely empty. There had been at least ten people there- and all of them, including the bartender/owner- had vanished. 

Either I was on some kind of Candid Camera type show or I have a repelling personality. 

It was downright creepy. 

The dummy had stopped cycling too. 

I finished the beer in awkward solitude and left, thinking of that scene in Stephen King's The Shining where Jack Nicholson thinks he's at a fancy gala at the hotel bar.

Graz.
I made it to Graz along the Mur River path, snapped exactly one photo, and found the hotel we'd booked for the night (three nights in a row without camping... I actually prefer camping). 

I don't hear a lot about Graz. It doesn't come up in conversation much... or ever for that matter. Being that it's the second largest city in Austria (which I assumed would've been Salzburg), it doesn't get even close to the same billing as other major cities get. 

Seems nice. I dunno. I cycled around a miniature commune, a strung-out man under a bridge, and another guy shamelessly taking a leak on the cycle path. 

The hotel took its name
very seriously...

...and no room shall be
left un-green.
I had fully intended on dropping my bags off and heading back into town... but you know how that goes. 

We're at the aptly named "Green Rooms" hotel. There's a burger king next door, a grocery market across the street, and a gas station on the corner.

Even after a relatively easy day, it's hard to leave that sort of luxury and be a proper tourist. 


The BK Oreo milkshake was delicious.

And I'm going to bed before 11:00 PM.

It's time to start putting some 100-mile days in.

P.S. 

"Can I pre-pay for this now?"



"Cash or charge?"






   









1 comment:

  1. I'll look for a Puntigamer next time I'm at the Beer King and drink a toast to you, too, Jim! The Anderson family's rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete