Saturday, July 15, 2017

A Tour of Swinjouscie, Q is for Quarantine, and Breaking Out Early

Day: Lost track of time in Swinjouscie, Poland

Average Speed: Idle 

Distance Moved: 15 sq. meters

Distance moved Total: 883 km (548 Miles) + 15 sq. meters

Mood: Really... upset.


Google Image. Not My Pic.


Swinjouscie, Poland. 

I’ve been here so long that I no longer question my spelling of “Swinjouscie.”

Please, allow me to give you the grand tour, should you choose to spend some time here:

The Beach of Swinjouscie





The Beach: 

Once you’ve laid down on a Swinjouscie beach, you’re unlikely to ever get up. In fact, the residents here help to make sure of that. 










View At Night
With Special Lighting

View During Day
The Scenic Vistas:


If you look closely enough, sometimes you can just make out the blurred figures of people going about their daily lives. And don’t worry- it’s even better at night. They keep it well lit out there so darkness doesn’t bring pessimism into your psyche. Thank goodness there’s no window shade or anything so that one isn’t tempted to block out all of the wonders Swinjouscie has to offer at 3 AM.



The Waterfalls of Swinjouscie
The Water Parks:

If you’re into water adventures, then Swinjouscie is rife with all kinds of fun! The whirlpool itself is lots of fun to play in, but if that’s not your speed, then hop into the waterfall! You have ultimate control in this waterfall as you and you alone are tasked with holding the water source. And Swinjouscie does everything big. Puny towels are for wimps. Bedsheets on the other hand? Now that’s the Swinjouscie way to pat yourself dry. 





I think I should go into travel writing. Because if I can describe this place as even remotely enjoyable to stay at…

The first time I visited the Swinjouscie Resort (a.k.a. hospital) seems so long ago. It was a quick visit. Apparently, if you have a pulse, that's good enough to send you on your way with a simple scrip or two. They also gave me a "ticket" to the Emergency Room should I feel the need to come back. 

Well, I felt the need to come back. And I haven't left. 

The second time they took me a bit more seriously (even though my 104 degree fever the first time didn't seem to raise any cause for concern). 

This time, they hooked me up to an I.V. and eventually my new 105 degree fever came back down to earth. I am thankful for at least that much. I was becoming delusional and I could barely talk. I was dehydrated because drinking anything caused me to vomit. 

CHEERS FOR THE UNICORN TEARS, MIKE CARO!
I was a tad surprised when they wanted to keep me overnight, especially since the first time I’d visited they sent me on my way with some glorified Advil and an electrolyte replacement drink mix (a drink that I can only describe as tasting like a unicorn's teardrops). 

I was even more surprised when they told me that they wanted to keep me for 4-5 more days after that. Stunned. I figured I was fighting a quick bug, but it was morphing. To be sure, I don’t get sick often, and I don’t remember ever feeling this ill except, perhaps, that time my appendix ruptured in fourth grade (mom and dad thought I was playing sick then too in order to get out of a spelling test or something- I never let them forget that). 

But at least they decided to give me the royal treatment: My own private room. Ooh la la. I figured perhaps they were trying to impress the uninsured foreigner with over-the-top hospitality. 


Sign on My Room Door. I Don't Know What It Means...
But I'm Pretty Sure It's Not "Welcome!"
In due time, however, I realized I was not allowed to leave this room. A doctor (approximately the same age as Doogie Howser) explained:

“We would prefer if you stay in your room, because we have this room just for you! There is no need for you to come out. If there is emergency, then yes come out… otherwise, we’re not sure what you have so…”

“So, I’m being quarantined?” I asked.

“Yes.”

I’ve been trying to look on the bright side here. I really have been. But it’s difficult. Although I’ve turned up the charm to 11, the nurses I’ve had are impervious to it. They’re cold, and I’d say downright rude. 

The doctor only visits upon request- and that visit lasts approximately 20 seconds. Nothing substantial is explained during that time. 



I haven’t eaten since Monday, and no matter who I explain this to (doctors and nurses alike), people simply nod or shrug. *Update- they fed me today. I was rather adamant about my disgust that no one seems to care that a patient hasn't eaten in 6 days. 




The World's Largest Towel.
Complimentary with Stay at Club Swinjouscie
If the kind people at the hotel where I was staying hadn’t sent my luggage over, I’d be without my basic toiletries since I had not planned on an extended visit. I mean, here at Club Swinjouscie, they offered me a bed sheet instead of a towel after hesitatingly agreeing to let me shower… do you think they stock a spare toothbrush?

I think the complete lack of attempt at communication is what is most bothersome. I realize there’s a language barrier, but that is no reason to avoid trying to explain what medications are being given and why. Or to avoid talking to me in general. 

It's lonely in this room. 

The prison guards- err- nurses don't exactly go out of the way to make you feel at home. 





The best explanations I’ve gotten as to what is going on with me is by sending pictures of my blood work results (I had to specifically ask for these) to my mom. If she and her friends were not in the medical profession, I’d still be clueless. 

White blood cells low. Platelets low. Bacterial or viral infection likely. Will take time to heal. 


No activity for time being. 

I can do that. 

Now will somebody please get me out of here?

Oh. Look at that. 

This Guy to the Rescue.

Prayer answered. 

This is Daryl. He's an American expat living in Berlin. I'm attending his wedding soon. But right now, he's Superman- and he's helping me break out. 
That's Better.

And we were even fortunate enough to get one decent view of Swinjouscie. 

To be clear, I'm not fully recovered. It may be a while. It looks like cycling for July is a done deal. I'm really sad about that. I'm hoping I'll be good to continue on in August.

August 3rd to be exact. 

Come back and visit then. 

And I'm going to have some company. 

It should be a good time.

Thanks for your support so far. 


P.S.

The Microsoft Translate App Takes a Dark Turn 
When an Aide Tries to Explain the Doctor's Whereabouts:




I Wonder How I Would've Been Described....


4 comments:

  1. Daryl to the rescue! That read like a chapter in a book. Good ol Daryl. Glad you're out and on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness !! The eternal suffering patient !! Hope it wasn't the beer! Prayers are still going up for you. And thanks for the Sweden Flag postcard! It came to day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Mr. Quinlan I hope you feel better soon!! I miss you soooo much:(
    If you don't get better soon Jewelina will be triggered :P
    I reeeeeally hope you feel better soon <3

    ~Haley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better, fake it to get out of there! Hospitals make you sick. Just don't forget to get those fuzzy socks they give you before you leave!

    ReplyDelete