Friday, July 7, 2017

The Kattegattleden, a 37th Mile, and Cheers for Beers

Day: 6  Steninge, Sweden to Mölle, Sweden

Average Speed: 17.4 km/h (10.8 mph)

Distance Cycled Today: 125.5 km (78 Miles) 

Miles Cycled Total: 661 km (411 Miles)

Mood: Getting Stronger...
Posted by the Ever-Creative Heidi Meier Diponio




Louise’s insistence that I put away Google Maps and simply follow the well laid out bike path that runs the coast of western Sweden really paid off. I’m kind of upset I didn’t do it earlier. If I had put a nose hair's worth of research into cycling Sweden, I probably would've found it... but it's the 9th hit when you search "Sweden Cycle Paths." 

Who looks at the 9th hit?


If the thought ever crossed your mind that taking an extended bike tour might be a pretty cool thing to do one day, the Kattegattleden (which must be Swedish for “Why are you using Google Maps you American idiot?) is a great introduction to this type of trip. Here’s why:




More Boats. Can't get enough of 'dem boats.



-The scenic vistas are incredible. It meanders along the beautiful coastline, but still takes you inland enough to enjoy the other sights of Sweden.



Halmstad Centrum




-It takes you through some wonderful towns. Many cyclists on this path lazily hop from one town to the next, staying overnight at each. 



Idiot Proof (most of the time)




-It’s user-friendly. At every chance that you might take a wrong turn, there’s a sign pointing you in the right direction. 









Möööööööö


-It has a great personality. Flat is boring. But too much climbing can be tiresome. This has just enough bite in the climb and a lot of fun twists and turns. 




Path goes through parks and beaches



-IT’S SAFE. Rarely does it put you on a road without a distinct bike lane. Actually, it rarely puts you on roads at all. 






Most importantly, anyone can comfortably do it. 

To that last point, the Kattegattleden is nothing like last year's ambitious trek across America with crazy mountains and dangerous roads and sparsely populated far-apart towns. While I stand by my belief that anyone can do that as well (with the right mindset), I can also guarantee that it won't be a pretty sight. On this path, however, there are tons of packers that run the gamut age-wise (by “packers,” I mean cyclists traveling with overnight gear). I saw some as young as ten years old, and others well into their senior years. 


Me and Kent



Kent from Copenhagen (I should be there tomorrow!) is taking it easy as he follows it north to Göteborg. He arm is healing from a fracture, but he's in no rush.





Sassy Marietta and Not-Donald-Danold

Danold (he was quick to point out that although his name is pronounced the same as America's fearless leader, his is spelled better) and Marietta are staying in hotels at each town they come across. 


I will say that Marietta has the sassiest cycling outfit I've ever seen. If America's Next Top Model filmed a European edition on the Kattegattleden, Marietta would be cycling her way to success. 







Seriously. Do it. It's fun. 

Today's 78-Miler took me from Lisa's house in Steninge to picturesque Mölle.

Here's the route:

Today's Route




See that bump in the middle? That took some effort...
Halmstad, Sweden


Entrance to Halmstad Centrum


I took my first break in Halmstad, a city of about 66,000 dotted with gorgeous parks and gardens. The entrance to the town's centrum gives it a medieval feel. I stared at it for a while, feeling like I needed special permissions to enter.

But I mounted my steed and snuck in anyway. 

And although there was plenty to see, I was immediately drawn to the chair statue in the middle of the square. 




This is not for you to enjoy.

It was empty at the time, and having no idea that it was an actual tourist attraction that many seek out for picture-taking fun, I plopped down to solve today's crossword (Friday is my favorite day). I was deeply engrossed, and therefore did not notice the many impatient tourist vultures circling.

Eventually a lady tapped me on the shoulder, telling me that I had been there for 20 minutes. 

I looked down at my app and corrected her. 

"12 minutes and 42 seconds actually!" 

But I got the point. 

Don't loiter on chairs in squares. 


Now that I think about it, this landmark has probably been the target of relief by many a drunken college-aged kid on a party night in town. 

Glad I didn't sit there longer.  


Late Thirties. Forty is knockin'.


At my 37th mile today, I did stop to take another pic. Granted, the 37th birthday isn't a milestone per se... but I don't think I'm allowed to say I'm in my mid-thirties anymore. So there's that. And I held on to 36 until the bitter end- When I got a "happy birthday" text around midnight last night, I noted that back home, I was still 36. 






It was delicious, Rex.

I celebrated solo in Ängelholm later in the day.

Me.

A Bike.

And a cup of rum raisin ice cream. Rum raisin. Go figure.

Turns out rum raisin is popular in Sweden.



In the middle of the day I met my first Mini-Major climb of the trip. 

It was fun! Appalachian in nature- a couple miles of ridiculous steepness followed by an equally steep drop. 

That's another reason why you should plan a trip on the Kattegattleden! Intro to Major-Climbs!

And I finished off the day getting zapped by an electric fence while trying to pet a horse. 

Twice.




Before I sign off (and this is a feature that's going to be sticking around) I must start thanking sponsors who are fueling the Green Saddle tank with beer (link to get in on that is on the web version / computer version of blog- not on mobile layout)


Sitting down at the end of the day with a beer and a computer is like dessert for me. I love it. No matter how good or bad the ride was, this part is always just right. 







THANKS FOR THE BEER, KATHY DAVIS!

In most posts here on out, there will be a random picture of me holding a beer with its sponsor captioned underneath. No more discussion of it after today. Just a pic and the sponsor randomly inserted somewhere. 

So let's kick it off with a Carlsberg (start slow... the beer quality can only improve from here).

Seriously, thanks to all who have sponsored me so far, especially my two families (CVMS and Mom/Sis). 

Your postcards are coming. Eventually. 

And thanks for the birthday wishes everybody.





Now get off that couch and book a trip to Sweden. 

Kattegattleden. You can do it. Promise. 

I'll help you pack.


P.S.



Unnecessary sign. Let Natural Selection take its course please, Sweden.




...this coming from a guy who was twice zapped by the same electric fence today.














1 comment:

  1. I saw the same sign in Croatia. It made me chuckle, while making me wary of their driving capabilities. Hope you are having a great time.


    /Users/josephmilcetic/Desktop/IMG_0304.JPG

    ReplyDelete