Monday, June 27, 2016

Whatcha Packin'?

Day: 1 (Pine Bush, NY to Williamsburg, VA)
Average Speed: 70 MPH
Miles Cycled Today: 0
Miles Cycled Total: 500 Training Miles
Mood: Happy!



Preparation isn't really my thing. I was a shitty Boy Scout. And hopefully, the "it all works out in the end..." mantra will see me through to the end of this trip.

Just over a month ago, the only bicycle I had was a Cannondale that makes for an excellent conversation piece in the garage ("Hey, Jim... over yonder beneath the large pile of scrap vinyl siding that you'll never use... just next to the pointlessly large Beetlejuice Halloween costume and to the right of those three identical Shop Vacs that are obviously never used in here... is that a mountain bike?" "Yes. Yes it is." "Why that looks like it hasn't been used in at least a decade!" Silence.)

Now I've got a Trek 520 built for touring and ready to go and 500 miles of training under my belt... still a far cry from ready for the Yorktown, VA to San Francisco, CA trip via the TransAmerica/Western Express bicycle routes.
















Packing this thing was a chore. But I think I got it down to the bare bone essentials... which is as follows:

CLOTHES:

2 Pair Bike Shorts (3 different removable liners)
3 Cycle Jerseys (one of which advertises beer… Magic Hat to be specific)
2 Pair Underwear that do not look moth eaten like most of my other pairs
4 Pair Cycling Socks… yea there’s such thing as cycling socks. Who knew?
1 Pair Leg Warmers (no not the ones from the 80s… these are much sexier)
1 Long Sleeve Flannel
2 T-Shirts
1 Undershirt
1 Plaid Short Sleeve Button Down (for date nights...)
1 Pair Shorts for Sleeping (Hanna's suggestion...)
1 Lightweight Hoodie
1 Pair Lightweight Pants
1 Rain Outfit
2 Stuff Sacks
1 laundry bag cube thing (left this home... no idea why I thought this was a good purchase)
1 Pair Sandals
1 Pair Bike Shoes (with clips, but easy enough to walk in... I'll miss my Converse though)
1 Helmet with Rearview Mirror

1 Belt

Before


After


PERSONAL CARE:

1 Stick Deodorant (one of those new hipster Old Spice scents... my girlfriend complains it makes me smell like fruit.)
1 Stick Anti-Chafe Rub (eeeeww)
1 Tube Chamois Butt’r (not for toast)
1 Can Sunblock
1 Small Tube Face Sunblock (I have sensitive skin... and emotions)
1 Can Hair Goop (for date night... don’t judge)
1 Razor (2 extra blades)
First Aid Kit (hopefully I will be able to return this as I don't plan on opening it)
Acne Cream (my forehead breaks out when my helmet is on… it sucks. Makes me feel like I'm in high school again)
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Small Shampoo
Lip Sunscreen
Q-Tips
Tissues/TP (this item seems very stealable to me from restaurant bathrooms)
Caddy to hold this shit

Before


After


ELECTRONICS:

1 USB Memory Stick (this has my curriculum for the upcoming year on it which I will tweak throughout trip... HAHAHAHAHA!!! Yea, right! But I'm bringing it anyway.)
2 Micro SD Cards with Adapter
Wall Charger with 4 USB Ports
Camcorder
GoPro Hero4 Silver
4 GoPro batteries with charger
External Hard Drive
Kindle (just loaded with "Set this House in Order" by Matt Ruff... reccomended by a friend)
YurBud Headphones (only brand that stays in my ear when sweating)
 iPod Nano 
MacBook Pro w/ case
iPhone
External Battery/ Battery Charger
Solar Charger
Mini Tripod

USB cables for kindle/external battery, iPhone/iPod, GoPro, camcorder


ON ROAD NECESSITIES:

Rubber Bands
Rim Tape
Black Tape (wrapped around bike post)
Chamois Cloth
Lightweight Towel
Shower Caps (for saddle/exposed electronics protection in rain... not to protect my perfect coif)
Bungee Cords
Mini Leatherman
Allen Wrenches
Tire Levers
2 Spare Tubes 
Air Pump (not pictured… on bike)
Proofride (for Brooks saddle)
Bike Lock
Ziploc Baggies
Chain Lube (rowwrrr... oh behave you chain!)
Map Set

BEFORE

AFTER



CAMPING:

1 Nemo Lightweight Single Person Tent (2 lbs... date proof)
Footprint for the Tent 
1 Heat Blanket
20 Degree Sleeping Bag (Trailhead Teton brand)
Water Filtration system (this sounds cool. But I have no clue how to use it.)




MISCALLAENOUS:

“Wallet” (Credit Card/Debit Card/Cash/License/PBA Card for when I get pinched for speeding)
Energy Gels
Vitamins
Gum
Note Pad
Pencils/Pens/Sharpie 
Sunglasses
Post Bag
Corkscrew (If you think this isn’t necessary, then we probably don't hang out all that much.)
Head Lamp
Bike Gloves
2 Bic Lighters
Flashlight



ON BIKE:

3 Water Bottle Cages (but only 2 water bottles… go figure… 3rd cage is underneath)
Bell… like PeeWee Herman
Super-Dooper-Bright Annoying Headlight and Taillight (Cygolite brand) to annoy cars
Smartphone mount
Computer (odometer, speedometer, tripmeter, etc.)
Go-Pro Mount
Handlebar Bag-Orlieb
Storage Rack
1 Brooks B-17 Saddle (color: green)




REAR STORAGE

2 40L Ortlieb Waterproof Panniers
Top Bag



PETS

95 Pound Slobber Machine (courtesy of Hanna)



I'm gonna fit her in the front basket... like Toto.

BAGS FULLY PACKED




My co-worker Susie was kind enough to drive 8 hours down to her parents' house (and her parents are gracious enough to let me stay with them a night in preparation for tomorrow). Susie's good company- and doesn't mind me sleeping in the passenger seat.



Gave my bike a brief spin with all of the weight... feels great... feels like I have a really large ass though.





10 comments:

  1. Yaasssss!!! Go get em Jim!!! Wait where's the whiskeyyyy???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go big or go home! Bravo, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Jim!! This is a trip of a life time. Can't wait to hear all the great stories you are going to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your journey! May the force be with you🚲

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will be in my thoughts. Stay Safe and have the time of your life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the great laugh this morning as I read through yesterday's post! I really hope you've gotten the rotten day out of the trip itinerary and the remaining days of the trip are smooth sailing! Thanks for letting us tag along! Sharon Harris (fellow Steinbeck Fellow)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris Hendricks let a lot of us on to your adventure. I'll be sure to follow closely - and maybe I'll be able to add a few readers. Are you planning a book, perchance? You've plenty of tome to think of that.

    Now, off with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I 'hopped on' late, but thinkin' about you!

    ReplyDelete