Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A Fat-lete, a Fart, and a Family

Day: 10 (Rural Retreat, VA to Meadowview, VA)
Average Speed: 9.5 MPH
Miles Cycled Today: 65.8
Miles Cycled Total: 511
Mood: Invigorated

Kool sign in Konnarock


Today's Route: Rural Retreat to Meadowview

If you’re ever having a crappy day, and you want it to get better fast, here’s what I’d suggest: Get your bicycle to the top of a mountain that has a gently winding 20 mile descent. See where I wrote “Amazing” on the map? That. Was. Amazing. For the first time on this trip, the descent justified the climb. Especially with the right soundtrack (“Jesusland” by Ben Folds seemed particularly apt). 


After breaking camp this morning (no, I did not pay for the site), I tried a novel approach to fixing my quad: stretching. I don’t stretch because it’s something that athletes do. And I am not an athlete. I’d probably call my self a “fat-lete,” which is to say I can handle a sport, but not without heavy breathing and/or vomiting during play. But the quad pain abated… so I’m gonna go ahead and give stretching a rave review on Yelp. I might even do it again. 

Waiting Out Rain in a Church Parking Lot
Still, the day started out miserably enough. I tried to trick myself into telling me that the gently falling rain was refreshing. That worked for all of two seconds. The first 15 miles of the day were cycled in a complete downpour. It’s funny to watch approaching cars as the driver points at me and the passenger takes his/her eyes off of the iPhone just in time to see me and say "What's wrong with that guy?!" Otherwise, it's sheer misery.

At some point I couldn't take it anymore, and I hunkered down under cover in a church parking lot for 1/2 an hour or so. I did a crossword puzzle to pass the time, but that was equally as miserable. Don't take my word for it- This guy is the expert blogger on that, and he agrees whole-heartedly (July 6 write-up). TRIAMORY? Delighted to add that word to my vocabulary!

The next 15-ish miles was all climbing, but with the sun starting to peak out, a gentle grade, and a quad that wasn't on fire, it was quite enjoyable. Nonetheless, I have trouble breaking 5-6 MPH on any kind of incline, so there's that. 

Things are changing now (accents are thicker, trees are taller, churches are more abundant, mountains are craggier, babbling brooks abound, cell service is all but non-existent, and Trump signs are more frequent). 

With this new landscape comes the feeling that I'm actually getting somewhere. Now people say "You came from Yorktown?" with a twinge of disbelief. 


I did hit one snag in the middle of my trip today... I took a detour so that I could hop on the Virginia Creeper Trail (yes... that's its name... and I find it scary sounding too). This was recommended not only by my own maps, but also by all the locals gathered in the Konnarock general store. They pointed me in the right direction and sent me on my way. On a side note- as I was leaving the store, I put in my earbuds which were blaring Green Day. A woman pulled in and said hello to me (I assume). I returned the greeting, but I couldn't tell how loud I was talking. Then I broke wind. Intentionally. Because- due to the loud music- I couldn't hear it, and therefore I assumed no one else could hear it. Well, as deafening as Green Day was to me is as deafening as this flatulence was to this woman. She whipped around and stared at me, mouth agape. I smiled and shrugged and pedaled away, happy that I gave her some dinner conversation for the night. 
Downtown Konnarock


In order to get to this trail, I had to climb an incredibly steep mountain and come down the other side. But the only trailhead I saw was for the Appalachian Trail. They told me the wrong trail! I thought, and I had to backtrack. This five mile detour took about an hour and cost me a lot of energy. I found out later that the trailhead I was looking for was about 500 feet past where I turned around. Karma for my gassy rudeness I suppose.

I found my way down to the town of Damascus, and there was no way I was saying "no" to the ice cream shop that greets visitors upon arrival. I stealth-charged some devices and tried to figure out where I was going to stay for the night. 

One thing that certainly has not changed as I head west: The kindness of strangers. As I went to leave, I asked a couple on the porch if they knew of any campgrounds in Meadowview. No sooner had I completed the sentence when the husband said "You can camp in our backyard if you want to!" 

Don't ask me twice. 

They gave me their address- right on my route and the perfect distance away. And just like that, Robert and Rebecca Fizer became my hosts for the night. 

Robert and Rebecca Fizer
They offered me a shower. They offered me a drink. They offered me electric. They offered me Wifi. They offered me a shed with a padded floor in case of foul weather (and it is getting foul!). They offered me laundry. They offered me lovely conversation. 

I am so glad I met these people on a whim. 

While you might think that the highlight of my day was that amazing descent, I assure you it was not. 


The highlight was the continued daily affirmation that people are good. 

P.S.

Is it just me? Or is that fully functional Pepsi machine oddly out of place?

Just sayin'.


2 comments:

  1. Jim, the blog has me entertained, enthralled, and envious. I'm Joe, and I work with your Mom, and she sent me the link to your blog.

    Oddly enough, I rode the Virginia Creeper trail several years back. With that said, you can safely assume that yes, I also enjoy bicycling. The western parts of Virginia get rural very fast between the quaint and friendly towns.

    Enjoy your journey! Know that others are vicariously riding with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having an awesome birthday! Love reading about your daily adventures :)

    ReplyDelete