Monday, July 11, 2016

A Change in Saddle, an Oasis, and My New Buds

Day: 15 (Berea, KY to Springfield, KY)

Average Speed: 10.9 MPH

Miles Cycled Today: 85

Miles Cycled Total: 855

Dogs Encountered Today: 4

Mood: Pleasant


Sign Outside the Ewart Oasis



What the New Map Looks Like
Last night, I opened a fresh map to look at the terrain I had ahead of me, a Maker's Mark in hand and ready to toast myself for what was surely going to be an easy-peasy day. 

When I saw it, I was in shock (see pic of new map). I know what I just did, and there was no way in hell I was going to be able to accomplish what appeared to be ten times harder. 

Something had to be wrong. I mean, Social Studies was my worst subject in school, but surely I would've heard of this insane mountain range in a question or two on Jeopardy!

Upon closer examination, I realized the elevation markings had changed (compare new map with old map).
What the Old Map Looks Like


Bottoms Up!

Today's ride could not be more pleasant. The balmy summer weather, the rolling hills, the perfect sky, the birds chirping, the butterflies flitting, the traffic patiently waiting to pass at an appropriate time with a "hello" wave from every driver, the farmer calling out from his tractor at the top his field "Be safe!" 

It's like I stepped into a cartoon. 

That Carpenters song [Why do birds suddenly appear...] got stuck in my head on repeat- I'm not quite sure why, but it seemed to fit the spirit of the day. Don't judge.  


Today's Route
I sailed through the first 20 miles in less than an hour and a half. I'm gonna get 150 miles under my belt today! I thought. 

But soon enough, the hills slowed me down. 

The thing about hills is that you can see the tops of them. Unlike those switchbacky mountains where you can only see a couple hundred feet in front of you (and you just accept that it's going to be a long slog) hills can be daunting because the whole thing is in plain sight, and they're often deceivingly difficult. It's hard for me to get into the climbing mentality because it's not worth finding the mental energy for such a short period of time- although the familiar, rhythmic tattoo of One... More... Pedal... did come back to visit on occasion today.  


Splash and David
At the top of today's steepest climb, I stopped to take a breather and met Splash and David (David is the human in the picture... the one on the right. Wearing the orange. With the hat. Splash is the horse. On the left.)

David is probably the most well-spoken and polite sixteen-year-old on the planet (every sentence starting and ending with "Sir") and is a camp counselor at the Circle C Baptist Ranch, where the focus is to provide children with a sanctuary for finding themselves through religion. 

After some casual conversation, David asked what church I belonged to.


Now, if I'm not mistaken, I do believe I'm registered as an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church, but I kept this to myself and evaded the topic. 

Instead I told him about the only time I'd been on a horse, which was on a family vacation to Yellowstone National Park the summer of my eighth grade year. 

Our family took a guided horse tour and each of us got our own to ride. My mother's horse was named Rainbow. My father's horse was named Sunshine. My sister's horse was named Beauty. And mine was named Pig. Pig was a miserable animal who enjoyed shitting, farting, and rearing up unexpectedly. It was not a good experience. 
A Change in Saddle

"Sir, Splash here is about the nicest horse on this side of Kentucky, and if you'd like I'll be happy to give you a tour around camp while you ride, sir," David said. 

Don't ask me twice. 

This was an unexpected, incredible experience for me given freely by a sixteen-year-old. 

David's modesty won't let him realize what a cool kid he is. 

Remember when I said that today's ride could not be more pleasant? 

Is that coming across?





Not to be outdone, a couple of Kentuckians five miles past the Circle C Ranch created a mini-oasis for cyclists. The "Free Water" sign caught my attention immediately, and sure enough, there was a cooler filled with water, Gatorade chews, energy drinks, and much more. Another cooler was brim-full with snacks. 




Rick and Donna Ewart- Hosts of a Free Cyclist Sanctuary
The hosts, Donna and Rick Ewart were there when I stopped by- they were in the middle of building a free hostel with a shower for cyclists. 

The only greeting I could come up with was "Why?" When they realized the question, the answer was simple enough: "Why not?"

A foreign cyclist from Holland named Joop (pronounced "Yoop") had just visited the Ewart Oasis and, in telling me about it, shook his head and said "Only in America..."

How refreshing to hear that phrase from a European in a positive context. 


Did I mention that today's ride could not be more pleasant?

Is that coming across? 

This is postcard Kentucky. 

Picturesque farms dot the landscape, the smell of freshly mown grass fills the air, downtowns are well manicured, and passerbys say hello. 

Joop was heading east, where I had just come from, and said "I heard a lot of bad stories about cycling through Kentucky, and I haven't seen anything like that at all!"

Just you wait, Joop. And enjoy it while it lasts. The Underbelly of America is just around the corner.


But the icing on today's cake could not be sweeter:

I was originally going to camp tonight, but due to poor planning and the setting sun, it was simpler to hole up at the Springfield Inn, where I am now. When I rode up, some construction workers were enjoying their evening outside with a case of Bud Light in front of them.

"Someone looks like he could use a beer!" one said. 

"I sure could!" I replied. 

They asked me the usual icebreaker questions that I honestly never get tired of (Where are you from? Where are you going? How many miles today? etc...) and I asked about them. 

I eventually went to go check in, and when I returned, they were gone. But they'd left a box of Bud Light with six cold cans of beer by my front tire. 
Yet Another Gift


I'm currently enjoying number three.

I forgot to take a photo, so I recreated it in my room.

Did I mention today's ride could not be more pleasant?

Did that come across?





P.S.

You're not giving me much choice here...

And no... there wasn't an extra roll under the sink. 


















2 comments:

  1. Go! Go! Gsdget cyclist! A ride on a horse, free snacks and beer by your tire - Damn, life is grand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Jim, still following your trip. If you finished those six Bud Lites...how the heck did you get on the bike the next morning!! Of course, be safe...but, have fun!! John

    ReplyDelete